Footfalls Walking Holidays was founded in 1994 by Christopher and Teresa Stacey, who both wanted to share their love and interest in the great outdoors with others so started guiding individuals and groups in the Wicklow Mountains.
Before long, they were getting requests from customers to see more of Ireland than just Wicklow and also to organise self-guided tours. Today, they attract customers from all over the world to take guided and self-guided walking tours to almost every corner of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Lake District. Despite the growth of Footfalls Walking Holidays, almost all of their tours are guided by Christopher and Teresa so they continue to guarantee that personal touch which brings customers back year after year.
Christopher Stacey is well acquainted with the mountains in all their moods. He has lived and worked a lifetime in the more remote forest areas of Wicklow. He knows and loves the local characters, the people whose lives are steeped in local traditions and folkways. In his childhood, he was closely involved in the world of his grandparents. He is witness to ways that have all but disappeared; the hay-making meitheal, cutting turf in the bog and stories by the open hearth, can all be recounted in vivid detail by Christopher to add colour and texture to the pleasures of walking. Having worked in forestry harvesting for most of his life, Christopher wished to share his love of nature and the richness of the traditional ways of his childhood.
More recently, he has completed the BOS Mountain Leader course, which covers all aspects of mountain leadership, including safety, first aid, map reading and navigation. Christopher is also a member of the Glen of Imaal Mountain Rescue team.
Teresa Stacey was born and raised by Wicklow’s coastline. She knows and loves the countryside. Working quietly in the background, Teresa monitors the progress of Footfalls guided and self-guided tours, ensuring that all aspects of every tour runs to schedule. Her main remit is the self-guided tours program for which she manages all aspects of the tours including accommodation, customer transfers, luggage transport and customer tour packs.
“Our mission is to provide you with a stress-free, personal, professional, safe and user-friendly service on our guided and self-guided walking tours of Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Lake District. We are dedicated to excellence in ensuring that your holiday exceeds your expectations ” Christopher & Teresa Stacey.
Why Take A Walking Tour With Us?
- There is no better way to relax and de-stress than on one of our walking tours while we take care of your luggage, transport, vacation itinerary, food and accommodation.
- Your holiday plan has been arranged to include the best of what Ireland, Scotland, Wales and the Lake District has to offer regarding scenery, history, flora and fauna, traditional food and culture.
- All our walking tours can be customised to your individual needs.
- Our wealth of experience over the past 20 years ensures that you are in safe hands and has gained us the respect of our customers and friends from around the world.
- Ireland has less than five million people living on this beautiful island which means that we virtually have the hills to ourselves!
- Our walking tours and vacations offer you a unique opportunity to discover our Celtic culture and lifestyle.
- Our team are renowned for their friendliness and professional manner in which all our walking tours are carried out. We are dedicated to the quality of excellence that motivates everyone within the team.
Our guided and self-guided walking tours and vacations
On our guided and self-guided walking vacations, we offer walking tours from four to ten-day duration, staying in quality hand-picked accommodations throughout the tour.
We can also pre-arrange for you to stay in one of our Dublin accommodations before or after your tour.
We also specialise in tailor made tours of any duration from a full to a half-day walk in the Wicklow hills to a corporate activity day.
If you are coming to Ireland and would like to start or finish your vacation with a few days of walking in the Irish countryside, why not contact us and let us organise a short tour for you.