Donegal – Walking Short Break
Walking Short Break – Donegal
Donegal, Dún na nGall, Gaelic for the fort of the foreigners, most likely got its name from the invasion of the Danes in the 850s.
The county is one of the largest counties in Ireland to have retained its native Irish language, with over 30,000 still speaking Gaelic in their everyday life. The countryside is moulded for the walking enthusiast and the pace of life is somewhat slower than you will find anywhere else in the country.
Almost anywhere in Donegal, you will still find small traditional family-run pubs where the atmosphere is friendly and relaxed and where traditional music is in abundance, all to be enjoyed over a pint of your favourite tipple.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|4 Day Short Break||€240 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates 2019||April 5th to April 7th|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Dublin to Donegal Town
- Our route sees us leaving the east coast at 12.00 noon for Donegal. We will stop many times on route to explore some of the towns that we pass through, have food etc. Driving time from Dublin to Donegal Town is approximately 3hr 45 min, depending on traffic and road conditions. After arriving at our accommodation and booking into our rooms we will go on a walk to explore the town.
- Day 2 / The Wild Wilderness of Slieve League
- Our first walk takes us on a drive further west to the spectacular sea cliffs of Slieve League; the highest and one of the finest marine sea cliffs in Europe. The name Slieve League is derived from the Gaelic Sliabh Liag, which literally means stone Mountain. Despite its name, the mountain is covered in a blanket of peat and heather. Our walk takes us North West along the eastern side of the mountain; offering views to our right of a wonderful wilderness over a picturesque landscape, made up of rolling mountains, a patchwork of green fields, gentle streams and rivers. To our left, we will have impressive views across the sea cliffs onto the wild Atlantic Ocean. Distance: 14 km / 8.75 miles, Ascent: 425 m / 1275 ft
- Day 3 / Depart
- After a hearty breakfast, we will depart for Dublin, leaving Donegal Town at 10 am.
- 2 nights bed and breakfast in Donegal Town
- All transport to include: Pickup and return from Dublin Airport or elsewhere
- All transport to and from walks
- Packed lunches
- Evening meals