Donegal Bluestack Way – 5 Days
Donegal Bluestack Way – 5 Day Self-Guided Walking Holiday
The Donegal Bluestack Way is a way-marked walking trail along a 118 km route through the remotest areas of County Donegal in the North-West of Ireland. From this, we are offering you a short break where you walk a distance of 65 km, from Donegal Town to the quaint village of Ardara.
Along the route, you will experience the wild and raw nature of the Donegal countryside as you hike across the rolling and gentle hills of the Bluestack Mountains. Starting in the town of Donegal, you will enjoy a unique self-guided walking experience by scenic Lough Eske, ancient Glencolmcille, stunning coastal cliffs with all its myriad of bird and plant life, following a riverside route eventually reaching Ardara.
Tour Pricing & Dates
|5 Day Tour||€530 per person sharing|
|Tour Dates||1st April to 15th October|
|Tour Grade||Easy to Moderate|
|BOOKING||BOOK THIS TOUR|
- Day 1 / Donegal Town
Take public transport from Dublin to Donegal Town where you will spend your next two nights. Public transport takes approximately 3 hours 30 minutes.
Donegal Town, protected by the proud O’Donnell Castle. Built-in the 1400s by the first Red Hugh and his wife Lady Nuala, the castle is an excellent introduction into this region's tradition, strong heritage and abundance of culture.
- Day 2 / Owenboy to Donegal Town
Your tour of the Donegal and Bluestack Way starts with a complimentary taxi transfer to the townland of Owenboy. The trail takes you back across the foothills of Banagher to cross the River Eglish and along by the beautiful shores of Lough Eske, finishing back in Donegal Town.
Distance: 20.4 Km/12.75 miles; Ascent: 362 m / 1086 ft; Descent: 522 m / 1566, Approximate walking time: 5 to 6 hours.
- Day 3 / Owenboy to the village of Glenties
The trail takes you along an old bog road and through farmland that takes you on a beautiful section across the foothills of the Bluestacks Mountains to finish your day in the village of Glenties.
Distance: 19.84 Km / 12.4 miles; Ascent: 588 m / 1764 ft; Descent: 655 m / 1965; Approximate walking time: 6 to 7 hours
- Day 4 / Glenties to Ardara
From the village of Glenties, you will hike along quiet back roads to arrive at the banks of the Owentocker River. Following the bank of the river, this meandering walk brings you into the village of Ardara. Ardara is a designated Heritage Town and also a well-known centre for the manufacture of Donegal homespun tweeds.
Distance: 11.80 Km; Ascent: 68 m, Descent: 96 m, Approximate walking time: 3 to 4 hours
- Day 5 / Depart
After a hearty Irish breakfast, you will depart for home.
- 4 nights B&B
- All accommodation is pre-booked in approved family-run guesthouses or B&Bs with all rooms en-suite
- Breakfast is supplied each day
- Maps and waterproof route notes, both trails have been walked and checked by Christopher from Footfalls
- Luggage Transfers daily while you walk with a small day pack
- All information on trains or buses needed to get to your first accommodation in Donegal Town and back at the end of the tour from Ardara.
- Full back up service should you require it while on our tour.
- Transfers from point of arrival to start of tour in Donegal Town and from end of tour in Ardara
- Packed lunches
- Evening meals